Saturday 5 May 2012

.....School Days.....The Best Days (Part 2).....





         
          My secondary school days began in 1963, i.e. after I got pretty good results in my Std 6 Examination. I was struck with fever during the exams and on the last day, I was told that I had contracted chicken pox. Thank God, I had managed to complete my exams despite the hitch.

          My teachers in the Sultan Ibrahim Secondary Girls' School were: Form 1 (Mrs Lily Kwan); Form 2 (Mrs Gladys Yap); Form 3 (Mrs Sudhakaran); Form 4 (Miss Shirley Howe) and Form 5 (Miss Juliet Tan). My secondary school years were simply awesome. Besides lessons I had made an effort to participate in games and extra-curricular activities. Despite the distance between my home and school, which was about eight miles, I managed to attend activities which were held after school hours and during the weekends. I tried my hand at playing softball and tennis, and I also joined the Land Rangers plus several societies.

          During my secondary school years, my school was very much into fund-raising. We had to raise money to build our school hall and also to purchase instruments for our school band, which was formed a year after I left that wonderful school. Some of the activities held were fun-fairs, jumble sales and also musical concerts. My classmates and I organized two concerts and our guest artistes were the 'in' singers of that time, namely the 'penyanyi-penyanyi pop yeh yeh angkatan '60an. We rubbed shoulders with Jeffridin and The Siglap 5, A. Ramli and The Rhythm Boys and A. Rahman Hassan and The Nirwana. We had a marvellous time indeed, and the best part of all was that I was chosen to be the Emcee for both concerts. It really is hard to imagine how the 'quiet and reserved' Hasnah could become alive and vibrant on stage. Anyway, all the students did a wonderful job and we managed to collect quite a big sum of money to contribute towards the school building fund.
             We climb the same slope
Head for a commom peak
We share the same hope
As we set out to seek
Those steep ways, those straight ways
That we travelled through together 
Those steep ways, those straight ways
Binded us in our endeavour
Those sweet days
Those school days
A feeling we can't repress
Our school made us a success.
         
 (Beautiful and nostalgic memories have come rushing back.....Those were the days, indeed!)

No comments:

Post a Comment